My previous post “Using Side Tabs on Chrome and Firefox” outlined steps to switch website tabs from stretching horizontally across the top of your browser to a vertical stack on the side. The post outlines the many benefits of using this layout of tabs, however recently the Chrome team decided to take this feature off the browser.
Currently the only way to re-enable vertical tabs (side tabs) is to roll back to an older version of Chrome. Here are the steps:
- Uninstall Chrome
- Install version 16.0.899.0 from http://www.oldapps.com/google_chrom…old_chrome=6660
- Disable Chrome updates: http://www.chromefans.org/chrome-tu…tic-updates.htm
- Reactivate side tabs
I recommend you setup Chrome Sync before this process, so you can easily restore everything.
Once you are back up and running, you might get a “This version of Chrome is older than the user profile on this machine” message. To remove that message, follow these steps:
- Open Windows Explorer, show hidden files
- Browse to: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\
- Delete the “Web Data” file
- Close and re-open Chrome